• Jeff Michael: Repair Your Credit and Knock Out Your Debt

    Jeff Michael: Repair Your Credit and Knock Out Your Debt
    I highly recommend this book because I wrote it.

  • Edie Milligan: Tips from the Top: Targeted Advice from America's Top Money Minds

    Edie Milligan: Tips from the Top: Targeted Advice from America's Top Money Minds
    I have about a dozen entries in this book.

  • DISCLAIMER: The opinions presented on this weblog are solely those of its author, and do not represent the opinions of my employer or clients. I cannot guarantee that the materials presented on this site will be error-free, or that any errors will be corrected. I make no representations as to the accuracy, correctness, or reliability of the information presented here; this site reflects only the personal opinions of its author and is for entertainment purposes only. * Further, this site is not responsible for any comments left in response to weblog posts, and we neither endorse nor guarantee any content contained therein, nor do we endorse any materials, websites, or services linked to in comments left by blog readers. I reserve the right to remove comments at will, but accept no obligation to do so.

August 2010

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31        
My Photo

« Junk Debt Buyers - a growing slime pit | Main | More on Junk Debt buyers »


When you discover an account has been re-aged by a JDB (junk debt buyer), you should immediately notify the three major credit reporting agencies in writing that you are disputing this alleged debt and show them ALL of the documentation you have on your side. Send the documents via USPS mail - return receipt requested and mail them to TransUnion, Experian and Equifax or any of those three agencies the account is listed at. If this does not work and the item is not removed from your report within 30 days, send in a "validation" request to the collections agency or junk debt buyer. Also, you may want to check with your Secretary of State that the CA is licensed in your state to do debt collections. If not, then they are in violation of the FCRA and FDCPA and you can sue them in small claims and negotiate with them for the removal of the account and settle for some cash. If you would just like to get this off of your report and do not wish to go with these two measures, you may send a letter to the collections agency with an offer to settle the debt or to pay in full (if it's not a large sum) for the complete removal of this debt off of your credit report. You will send it return receipt requested (do NOT give the collections agency anymore identifiable information than they already have). Do not let them know where you work (as this could be used later to garnish your wages), if they ask if you are employed, tell them it's none of their business. Send your money via a cashiers check or a USPS money order (again, if they know where you bank they can easily collect on any settlements).

Good luck!

The comments to this entry are closed.